The Town of Wainwright in partnership with various community organizations offers a variety of cultural opportunities that include an assortment of performing arts throughout the year in our modern theatre facility and annually the Wainwright Stampede brings outdoor thrills and chills to the young and old. Wainwright has a large well serviced library that is networked into the provincial library system and is proud of its terrific museum housed in an authentically restored railway station within our Main Street historic district.
Wainwright is proud of its heritage and is actively working towards the preservation and interpretation of significant historical buildings and sites. Our heritage structures include an authentically restored CN Railway station built in 1929, home to the Wainwright District Museum; the only free standing memorial Clock Tower monument in Canada built in 1925 in the center of the downtown business district; and the 1929 Post Office, which remains in use to this day.
In 2000, the community began an exciting heritage conservation initiative under the Alberta Main Street Programme in an effort to revitalize the historically significant commercial district with seven building restoration projects already complete and more underway. Learn more about this project and our local history.
- A modern facility with seating for 300 located in the Wainwright and District Comuniplex; features a professional grand piano.
- Theatre 75, a local theatre group puts on several outstanding productions each year including both well known, and locally written plays.
- Encore Entertainment society brings in various professional acts throughout the year.
First class facility located in the former CNR station on it’s original site. 18 rooms depict Wainwrights pioneer days, CNR and buffalo history.
- Restaurant on premises.
- Tours can be booked at (780) 842-3115 or email: email@example.com for additional information.
Wainwright Public Library
- 35,000 items including books, video and audio tapes, computer CDs, and childrens books and tapes.
- Services and programs offered include public internet access, story time for children, moms and babes classes, adult information nights, no school Fridays, summer reading, guest speakers and authors, delivery service to seniors, and provision of low vision aids.
- Chuckwagons Professional CPRA sanctioned 4 day rodeo
- World class chuckwagon races
- Numerous western theme events and parade
- Fun for everyone at the midway on the Stampede grounds
- Watch a video
Via Rail Garden Tour
- Includes 19 magnificent feature gardens, 28 award-winning Communities in Bloom destinations, and countless garden attractions from Victoria to Halifax